Kafka >> mail # user >> Kafka wiki Documentation conventions - looking for feedback

+
Chris Curtin 2013-03-25, 12:03
+
Chris Curtin 2013-03-29, 15:28
Re: Kafka wiki Documentation conventions - looking for feedback
Chris,

Thanks for the wiki. We are getting close to releasing 0.8.0 beta and your
writeup is very helpful. The following are some comments for the 0.8
Producer wiki.

1. The following sentence is inaccurate. The producer will do random
assignment as long as the key in KeyedMessage is null. If a key is not
null, it will use the default partitioner if partitioner.class is not set.
By default if you don't include a partitioner.class Kafka will randomly
assign the message to a partition.

2. In the following sentence, the first type is the key and the second type
is the message.
The first is the type of the message, the second the type of the Partition
key.

3. Could you explain the "key.serializer.class" property too?

In addition to the 0.8 SimpleConsumer wiki, could you write up one for the
0.8 high level consumer?

Thanks,

Jun

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Chris Curtin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've added an example program for using a SimpleConsumer for 0.8.0. Turns
> out to be a little more complicated once you add Broker failover. I'm not
> 100% thrilled with how I detect and recover, so if someone has a better way
> of doing this please let me (and this list) know.
>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/0.8.0+SimpleConsumer+Example
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Chris Curtin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
>

> > Hi David,
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback. I've seen the example before and after in
> > different books/articles and it doesn't matter to me.
> >
> > Anyone else want to help define a style guide or is there one I didn't
> see
> > already?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chris
> >

> > On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM, David Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> This looks great! A few comments
> >>
> >> * I think it would be useful to start with a complete example (ready to
> >> copy/paste) and then break it down bit by bit
> >> * Some of the formatting is funky (gratuitous newlines), also I think 2
> >> spaces looks nicer than 4
> >> * In the text, it might be useful to embolden or italicize class names
> >>
> >> Also, maybe we should move this to a separate thread?

+
Chris Curtin 2013-04-22, 17:41
+
Jun Rao 2013-04-22, 22:12