Kafka >> mail # user >> Kafka 0.8 - KeyedMessage?

+
Jason Huang 2013-01-07, 16:49
Re: Kafka 0.8 - KeyedMessage?
Jason,

In 0.8, each message can optionally have a key. The key is retained as part
of the message and will be stored in the broker. One can design a partition
function to route the message based on the key. The default partitioner
ignores the key and selects a partition at random.

Thanks,

Jun

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Jason Huang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I did some search on the web but couldn't find any documentation for
> 0.8 so I am trying to ask here:
>
> KeyedMessage is introduced in 0.8.0:
> class KeyedMessage[K, V](val topic: String, val key: K, val message: V)
>
> Does the parameter "key" = "partition key"?
>
> If I build a KeyedMessage with a specific key string, then the message
> will be stored to this partition, right?
>
> If I build a KeyedMessage without a key, then the message will be
> distributed to a random partition belonging to this topic? Or will it
> always use a certain default partition?
>
> thanks,
>
> Jason

+