Kafka >> mail # dev >> Patch for mmap + windows

+
Jay Kreps 2013-08-21, 21:54
+
Timothy Chen 2013-08-21, 22:14
+
Jay Kreps 2013-08-21, 23:30
Re: Patch for mmap + windows
Btw, I've been running this patch in our cloud env and it's been working
fine so far.

I actually filed another bug as I saw another problem on windows locally (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1036).

Tim
On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Jay Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That would be great!
>
> -Jay
>

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Timothy Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jay,
> >
> > I'm planning to test run Kafka on Windows in our test environments
> > evaluating if it's suitable for production usage.
> >
> > I can provide feedback with the patch how well it works and if we
> encounter
> > any functional or perf problems.
> >
> > Tim
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Jay Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Elizabeth and I have a patch to support our memory mapped offset index
> > > files properly on Windows:
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1008
> > >
> > > Question: Do we want this on 0.8 or trunk? I would feel more
> comfortable
> > > with it in trunk, but that means windows support in 0.8 is known to be
> > > broken (as opposed to "not known to be broken but not known to be
> working
> > > either" since we are not doing aggressive system testing on windows).
> > >
> > > I would feel more comfortable doing the patch on 0.8 if there was
> someone
> > > who would be willing to take on real load testing and/or production
> > > operation on Windows so we could have some confidence that Kafka on
> > Windows
> > > actually works, otherwise this could just be the tip of the iceberg.
> > >
> > > Also it would be great to get review on that patch regardless of the
> > > destination.
> > >
> > > -Jay

+
Jay Kreps 2013-09-09, 17:49