Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [DISCUSS] What is the purpose of merge vote threads?

+
Tsz Wo \ 2013-10-25, 01:19
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-10-25, 16:35
+
Doug Cutting 2013-10-25, 17:18
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-10-25, 17:56
+
Doug Cutting 2013-10-25, 19:04
+
Chris Nauroth 2013-11-07, 17:53
+
Chris Nauroth 2013-10-24, 20:40
+
Aaron T. Myers 2013-10-24, 21:07
Re: [DISCUSS] What is the purpose of merge vote threads?
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for pointing this out.  I hadn't seen it, but I just caught up.

This proposal states that 3 binding +1 votes are required for a branch
merge, which makes sense to me.  My confusion arises from the fact that
I've seen the voting happening in 2 different places in 2 different ways
simultaneously: either directly on the jira with a finalized merge patch or
in an email thread.  In the latter case, the process hasn't been
consistent.  Sometimes the finalized merge patch is posted before the vote
begins, and sometimes the proposal comes with a dev plan describing
remaining work intended to be finished before the merge.

When the voting happens on jira with a finalized merge patch, I know
exactly what I'm voting for, because it's the same review-and-commit
process that we follow every day with the extra requirement of 3 +1s.  When
it happens on email, it's less clear to me exactly what I'm voting for.

Whether the relevant voting happens on jira or email, this all comes down
to process questions around merges.  To make this more specific, here are a
few questions:

Is a 7-day voting period required?  This isn't stated in the bylaws or the
original proposal.

Does the vote begin when the devs present a finalized merge patch, or can
the vote begin earlier with intent to finish a few things before the vote
concludes?

If someone casts a binding -1, does that reset the clock on the vote?

If someone finds something that needs to be fixed, but doesn't cast a
binding -1, does that reset the clock on the vote?

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE