Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Hadoop 0.20.0

RE: Hadoop 0.20.0
-1

This is a huge deal for me as an HBase user.  And as someone who does
significant consulting and evangelism for HBase, there is probably not a
more necessary feature at this stage of the project.

Writes in HBase are done in memory, and we also write each edit to the HLog
which is periodically pushed to HDFS to prevent data loss should the node go
down in a way that does not allow us to flush everything properly.  Without
appends, we have to create a new file each time we "checkpoint".  In
practice, this was every 10,000 edits.

With appends, we only need to sync()/flush() to the same file.  In practice,
the default number of edits between flushes became 200, and for those who
require absolutely no data loss it can now be set to 1 without writing a new
hdfs file each time, meaning slow but tolerable performance.

The upcoming 0.20.0 release of HBase is going to bring with it massive
performance boosts and should put us at or above the performance of our
competitors.  Data loss is killer and is going to be enough to deter new and
existing users; at that point, we're no longer a fault-tolerant system.

I typically do not vote strongly for something if I'm not able to contribute
myself, but my impression from our testing over in HBase is that things are
not far off from working satisfactorily for our use case.  If it's only
partially working, I'd much prefer it be slapped with warnings about not
being fully-functional than pulling what does work out from the next
release.

Jonathan Gray