Pig >> mail # dev >> Proposal to create a branch for contrib project Zebra

Re: Proposal to create a branch for contrib project Zebra
Hi Santosh,

There are two separate things :
   (a) voting a contributor as a committer
   (b) committing to a contrib project.

(b):
My experience with Hadoop is that "Contrib" by definition is very
loosely coupled with core. By convention, we as committers to core
(hdfs, mapred, etc) did not have to monitor changes to contrib as
thoroughly as we would monitor core changes. It is the responsibility of
contrib developers to make sure they are not breaking builds etc.
Contrib changes get reviewed by people interested in the project.

(a):
Voting takes place when a contributor is being blessed as a committer.
It involves some legal stuff as well. Although a committer has
permissions to commit to any part of a project, it is expected that they
don't misuse it. e.g. if I have a patch for core Map/Reduce, I would
certainly wait for a regular MR contributor to review it and possibly
commit it. It does not matter how many patches I might have contributed
to say HDFS.

Reason for (a) is simple scalability. We can not monitor everything. If
you or another PIG developer volunteers to commit zebra patches, we are
more than happy to let you do it. Please let us know. Or at any stage,
if you feel we may be violating normal conventions (like breaking builds
or committing some PIG changes).. please raise the issue. We have not
seen serious problems in this regd with any other project, I think we
should get benefit or doubt.

I have not addressed the reason for a new branch here. will pitch for it
another mail.

Raghu.