HBase >> mail # dev >> HBase master failover

+
Julian Zhou 2013-08-06, 07:46
Re: HBase master failover
Yes, it makes sense. Even a 1 minute timeout is not ideal in this case: we
know that the work to do server side is trivial, and we know it's
idempotent so we can retry. So I would to tend to use a specific setting to
use for such operations.

Could you please create a jira for this?

Thanks,

Nicolas

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Julian Zhou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Community,
> Could you help if this case makes sense for 0.94 or trunk?
> Default of "hbase.rpc.timeout" is 60000 ms (1 min). User sometimes
> increase them to a bigger value such as 600000 ms (10 mins) for many
> concurrent loading application from client. Some user share the same
> hbase-site.xml for both client and server. HRegionServer
> #tryRegionServerReport via rpc channel to report to live master, but
> there was a window for master failover scenario. That region server
> attemping to connect to master, which was just killed, backup master
> took the ative role immediately and put to /hbase/master, but region
> server was still waiting for the rpc timeout from connecting to the dead
> master. If "hbase.rpc.timeout" is too long, this master failover process
> will be long due to long rpc timeout from dead master.
>
> If so, could we seperate with 2 options, "hbase.rpc.timeout" is still
> for hbase client, while "hbase.rpc.internal.timeout" was for this
> regionserver/master rpc channel, which could be set shorted value
> without affect real client rpc timeout value?
>
> --
> Best Regards, Julian

+
Julian Zhou 2013-08-06, 15:44