Zookeeper, mail # user - Electing a leader among clients

Electing a leader among clients
Arindam Mukherjee 2013-11-07, 05:38
Using ZooKeeper I want to create a cluster of hosts where a client process
on one of the hosts can play the role of a leader or controller and
coordinate tasks with processes across the rest of the hosts. As the nodes
are hosts similar, the choice of a leader can be arbitrary. I was thinking
of using ZooKeeper for this purpose.

I am very new to ZooKeeper and don't know enough of the available
primitives. What would be a good way to achieve this?

Here is one thought - please let me know if this makes sense or something
else which would work better:
1. Each ZoooKeeper client gets a monotonically increasing ID when it
establishes a session with ZooKeeper server. One way could be to create an
ephemeral sequential znode and use the assigned numeric suffix as the id -
store other data in this znode.
2. Whichever client gets the lowest id becomes the leader. However, for
this to work the entire range of ids assigned to live clients at any point
in time should be available to all the clients so that each client can
independently arrive at the same decision. How to do this?

Thanks.
Arindam
+
Rakesh R 2013-11-07, 05:49