Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Towards Hadoop 1.0:  Stronger API Compatibility from 0.21 onwards

+
Sanjay Radia 2009-08-28, 00:43
+
Doug Cutting 2009-08-28, 17:35
Re: Towards Hadoop 1.0:  Stronger API Compatibility from 0.21 onwards

On Aug 28, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Sanjay Radia wrote:
> > I propose that we honor the compatibility of stable interfaces  from
> > release 0.21 onwards;
> > i.e. apply the same post 1.0 rules to pre-1.0 releases.
>
> I think that makes 0.21 effectively 1.0.  The hallmark of 1.0 will be
> our promise not to change APIs incompatibly until 2.0.  If we make
> that
> promise sooner, then we're just accelerating 1.0.

Not quite. 1.0 includes wire compatibility. We can't call it 1.0
without wire compatibility.

> I understood that the plan was to add inter-release wire compatibility
> after 1.0, somewhere in the 1.x series of releases.

No. The 1.0 proposal was that it included both API and wire
compatibility.

See HADOOP-5071.
> So, e.g., if we add
> it in 1.1, then a 1.1 and 1.2 cluster would be able to make RPCs to
> one
> another, but 1.0 would not be able to make RPCs to these releases or
> vice versa.
>
> Doug

+
Doug Cutting 2009-08-28, 22:15