HBase >> mail # user >> One Region Server fails - all M/R jobs crash.

Re: One Region Server fails - all M/R jobs crash.
Hello,

Thank you for your replies.

Not that it matters but, cache is 1, batch is -1 on the scan i.e each RPC
call returns one row. The jobs don't write any data back to HBase,
compaction is de-activated and done manually. At the time of the crash all
datanodes were fine, hbchk showed no inconsistencies. Table size is about
10k regions/3 billion records on the largest tables and we do a lot of
server side filtering to limit what's sent across the network.

Our machines may not be the most powerful, 32GB RAM, 8 cores, 1 disk. It's
also true that when we took a closer look in the past it turned out that
most of the issues we had were somehow rooted in the fact that CPUs were
overloaded, not enough memory available - hardware stuff.

What I don't get is why HBase always crashes. I mean if it's slow ok - the
hardware is a bottleneck but at least you'd expect it to pull through
eventually. Some days all jobs work fine, some days they don't and there is
no telling why. HBase's erratic behavior has been causing us a lot of
headache and we have been spending way too much time fiddling with HBase
configuration settings over the past 18 months.

/David