Hadoop >> mail # general >> Which proposed distro of Hadoop, 0.20.206 or 0.22, will be better for HBase?

Re: Which proposed distro of Hadoop, 0.20.206 or 0.22, will be better for HBase?
On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 07:00PM, Jagane Sundar wrote:
> approaches you are familiar with. Chef/Puppet et. al. are not interesting to

Is this a technical lack of interest as in these solutions do not perform as
you expect them or this is a policy thing of some kind?

> turned out to be slow as sh**, they seem to have hacked the HDFS layer some
> more, in order to actually have a NameNode for metadata, but to use S3 for
> storing blocks. They have a protocol s3 to access this. Both of these
> approaches have one severe failing - they do not support Append and Hflush.
> ergo - no HBase on EMR. I am sure they are working furiously to address this

I wonder if you can delve into these details: is it an inherit problem of s3
protocol or something irrelevant to the technicalities?

Appreciate your feedback,
  Cos