Hadoop >> mail # dev >> [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

+
Matt Foley 2013-05-21, 21:10
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-21, 21:48
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-05-21, 22:18
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-21, 21:37
+
Aaron T. Myers 2013-05-21, 21:45
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-22, 10:53
+
Giridharan Kesavan 2013-05-21, 22:21
+
Eli Collins 2013-05-21, 23:02
+
Jitendra Pandey 2013-05-21, 23:13
+
Karthik Kambatla 2013-05-21, 23:48
+
Mahadev Konar 2013-05-22, 00:33
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-22, 01:57
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2013-05-22, 01:58
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-22, 02:01
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-22, 18:20
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-22, 19:39
+
Sandy Ryza 2013-05-21, 23:10
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-21, 23:00
+
Jagane Sundar 2013-05-21, 22:47
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-22, 02:06
Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote
On 21 May 2013 23:47, Jagane Sundar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I see one significant benefit to having Release Plan votes: Fewer releases
> with more members of the community working on any given release.
> In turn, fewer Hadoop releases implies less confusion for end users
> attempting to download and use an Apache Hadoop release.
>
> If there are a dozen different releases of Apache Hadoop available for
> download at the Apache Hadoop website, end users will go to a commercial
> vendor packaged version of Hadoop. That is not good for the Apache Hadoop
> community as a whole.
>
> Jagane

I agree we don't want fragmentation; you don't want to have to choose
between hadoop-2.1, hadoop-2.1.stevel-may and hadoop-2.1.stevel-june.

With a vote on artifact releases, this can be prevented. I am free to
create my -may and -june artifacts, but the PMC -it is just the PMC right?-
get to say "no steve, you can't ship this from the apache.org" site, though
I am free to make my own (which I have done in the past & put into my own
RPMs. No need for a vote if I do it on my own site, though I did make sure
I named the JARs and RPMs something else so that maven builds didn't get
confused.
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-22, 19:50
+