HBase >> mail # dev >> Re: HBase Developer's Pow-wow.

+
N Keywal 2012-08-30, 07:38
+
Stack 2012-08-30, 04:25
+
Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan 2012-08-30, 04:35
+
Stack 2012-08-30, 04:56
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2012-08-29, 18:30
+
Ted Yu 2012-08-30, 17:20
+
Devaraj Das 2012-08-29, 20:06
+
Stack 2012-08-29, 20:32
+
Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan 2012-08-30, 04:21
+
Devaraj Das 2012-08-29, 21:43
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2012-08-29, 23:12
+
Devaraj Das 2012-08-30, 06:12
+
Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan 2012-08-30, 07:05
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-30, 06:58
+
Jimmy Xiang 2012-08-29, 20:11
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-29, 20:15
+
Lars George 2012-08-30, 22:04
+
Devaraj Das 2012-08-30, 22:36
+
Stack 2012-08-30, 22:42
+
Stack 2012-08-31, 22:59
+
Stack 2012-09-03, 15:40
+
Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan 2012-09-05, 04:18
+
Stack 2012-09-09, 22:08
+
Jesse Yates 2012-09-09, 22:11
+
lars hofhansl 2012-09-10, 22:46
+
Stack 2012-09-09, 22:21
+
Jesse Yates 2012-09-09, 22:25
+
Stack 2012-09-09, 22:44
Re: HBase Developer's Pow-wow.
Some random thoughts/questions bubbling around in my mind regarding
secondary indexes/indices.

What are the top 5 use cases people are trying to solve?
What solves more of these needs: synchronous 'transactional' or
asynchronous best-effort (or delayed durable) index commit?
Does family level indexing make sense or is the real need for qualifier
level indexing?
What are ideas for a client interface and how transparent is index usage?
 (E.g. if you set a filter on a qualifier... )
How important is supporting multiple simultaneous criteria or would 90% of
uses cases be captured with single criteria support?
How important is value multi-parsing (e.g. a single value can be indexed to
multiple index values: e.g. free text indexing)?
What were the challenges and issues with the proof of concept TrendMicro
approach that ultimately made it untenable? (was an eventually consistent
approach)
What are people's thoughts regarding region-level alternative structure,
secondary table structure, etc?
Is it important to colocate/duplicate indexed values and/or additional
portions of data in secondary indices to minimize disk seeks (almost making
HBase optionally more columnar in nature)?
How important are multi-qualifier indexes? (e.g. when you want to do a
query for all users who are male engineers that have kids)
How important is partial index matching/ range matching (e.g. startswith
and/or between)?
How important is ordering of returned values? (e.g. if you support
startswith or range matching and you do indexing at the region-level,
you'll be able to get back two rows with the same value the are
interspersed with rows of different values)

These were partially in response to:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/SecondaryIndexing
http://apache-hbase.679495.n3.nabble.com/what-s-the-roadmap-of-secondary-index-of-hbase-td2573618.html
https://github.com/jyates/culvert
On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Jesse Yates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> least
> >> too).
> >> >

> >> Mind leading it Jesse?  You have the necessary qualifications (smile).
> >>  Would suggest you make include rehearsal of points made by Andrew
> >> Purtell and LarsH in the most recent thread on 2ndary indexes.
> >>

> > ....ok, I can do that :)
>
> Adding you to the list... Thanks J,
> St.Ack

+
Jacques 2012-09-10, 07:03
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-09-10, 18:09
+
Matt Corgan 2012-09-10, 19:13
+
Jacques 2012-09-10, 23:40
+
Matt Corgan 2012-09-11, 01:20
+
Jacques 2012-09-11, 04:04
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-09-11, 04:22
+
Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan 2012-09-11, 04:47
+
Ted Yu 2012-09-10, 17:51
+
Jacques 2012-09-10, 20:45