Hadoop >> mail # general >> getting started building Mavenized hadoop common

+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2011-08-02, 21:13
+
Jeffrey Naisbitt 2011-08-02, 21:55
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2011-08-02, 22:21
+
Jeffrey Naisbitt 2011-08-02, 22:47
+
Tom White 2011-08-03, 00:44
Re: getting started building Mavenized hadoop common
(the following discusses religious practices ... please don't break into
flames)

In the past, the simplest approach I have seen for dealing with this is to
simply put the generated code under the normal source dir and check it in.
 This is particularly handy with Thrift since it is common for users of the
code to not have a working version of the Thrift compiler.  I then have an
optional profile that does the code generation.  In my cases, I made that
profile conditional on a thrift compiler being found, but there are other
reasonable strategies.  I did the code generation by generating into a temp
dir and then copying the code into the source tree so that if the generation
failed, no code was changed.

The nice side effect is that IDE's see the generated code as first class
code.

Many consider various aspects of this style to be bad practice.  Some
condemn checking in generated code as akin to checking in jars.   I kind of
agree, but lack of thrift or javacc is common enough that it really has to
be dealt with by checking these in somewhere.  Only if your code generator
really is ubiquitous is it feasible not to check in generated code.

Others consider the commingling of generated an "real" code in the same
directory tree to be a mortal sin.  I agree, but in a lesser form.  I
strongly condemn the use of a single directory for generated and
non-generated code, but if all directories avoid such miscegenation, then I
don't see this as much of a problem.  Most people recognize that a package
with a name "generated" will contain generated code.

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Tom White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I like to debug through the code :)  It would be nice if there were an
> > automated way to handle that folder, but in the meantime, it would
> probably
> > be useful to document that along with the eclipse instructions.
>
> I had to do this step too. I've added it to the instructions on
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/EclipseEnvironment, but I agree it would
> be nice to automate this if anyone knows the relevant setting.

+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2011-08-03, 22:33
+
Scott Carey 2011-08-04, 00:35