MapReduce, mail # user - Gathering Statistics for use by Mappers?

Re: Gathering Statistics for use by Mappers?
Steve Lewis 2013-09-02, 19:23
There is a max counters - 6000 I think bit it can be raised by setting
"mapreduce.job.counters.max - I have done this but don't know
the performance implications.

What I am doing is comparing all items with a specific key with each other.
This requires all elements to be held in memory. If the number of items
gets too large, the task may be split among multiple reducers but the
mapper needs this information as it starts assigning keys - hence I need
the statistics early. Keys with fewer values can be handled by a single
reducer.
  For the business logic combiners would probably be of little use. Even
for two records having the same key, say zipcode. the odds that they are
'next door neighbors' and could be combined are pretty low.
   Yes, the number of keys is not high but every value is a pretty complex
serialized object with a lot of processing to handle it.

--
Steven M. Lewis PhD
4221 105th Ave NE