Hadoop >> mail # user >> Is there a way to get an absolute HDFS path?

Re: Is there a way to get an absolute HDFS path?
HDFS has the notion of a working directory which defaults to
/user/<username>. Check out:

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r1.0.1/api/org/apache/hadoop/fs/FileSystem.html#getWorkingDirectory()

and

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r1.0.1/api/org/apache/hadoop/fs/FileSystem.html#setWorkingDirectory(org.apache.hadoop.fs.Path)

-Joey

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Keith Wiley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So, you're say that hadoop assumes there is a specific directory hierarchy on HDFS?  Namely that there exists a top-level directory /user/ and that there exist various username directories under /user/?
>
> I only ask because I've never bothered to configure an HDFS system that specific way?  I didn't think there was any reason to impose such a directory hierarchy, but if hadoop really builds implicit paths on such an assumption then that is a good reason to be somewhat strict about organizing files on HDFS in a corresponding fashion.
>
> On Mar 12, 2012, at 15:24 , W.P. McNeill wrote:
>
>> HDFS always translates non-absolute paths like "top/sub" into absolute
>> paths of the form "/user/USERNAME/top/sub". So in HDFS "top/sub" is
>> unambiguous.

> Keith Wiley     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com
>
> "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
>                                           --  Yoda

Joseph Echeverria
Cloudera, Inc.
443.305.9434