HBase, mail # user - Altering table column family attributes without disabling the table

Re: Altering table column family attributes without disabling the table
techbuddy 2013-07-23, 21:36
Thanks for the reply JD! I came to know about this online schema setting
shortly after I made the post.

And yes ,I know the hbase.replication needs to be kept set to true. However
enabling that on a live cluster is not an issue for as we can do that
incrementally one region server at a time after having moved all the regions
on the former to a different region server (by executing the region_mover
script). In other words, we always move all the regions on a given region
server to a different region server before upgrading it (for co-processor
changes or any config changes) that requires a subsequent restart. This
makes sure that our app is not unavailable on the affected regions. And once
the upgrade is complete we move the regions back to the region server using
the same region_mover script.