Hive >> mail # user >> how to transform the date format in hive?

how to transform the date format in hive?
Hi All,

Assume we have two time stamp like:    9/15/2002  8:05   and    9/15/2002
9:05

if we need to evaluate the difference of these two time stamp in terms of
hours ( or minutes ), how to do that?

Hive seems only support the format  'yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss' , how can we
transform the two time stamps into the format that can be processed by
hive?

thanks for any suggestion in advance.