From: Christopher [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:49 PM
To: Accumulo User List
Subject: Re: WALOG Design

Mutations are written to WALOGS when they are inserted into a TServer's in-memory map. The TServer's in-memory map gets flushed to disk periodically, but there's a risk that the TServer will die after the data has been ingested, but before it is flushed to disk. The WALOGS, when enabled, protect against this data loss, by first writing out incoming data to a WALOG. The WALOG is more efficient than creating RFiles, because it does not contain sorted data or indexes.
It's just a playback file, so that in case of a failure, Mutations that the client believed had been ingested, aren't lost.

Putting the WALOG in memory defeats the purpose of the WALOG, but it can be disabled (per-table), if you care more about performance than protection against data loss. Don't disable it for the !METADATA table, though...

You can generate RFiles directly (perhaps using a M/R job), and bypass the WALOG, and bulk import them into Accumulo.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii