Hadoop, mail # general - Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-

Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-
Doug Cutting 2011-05-13, 08:53
On 05/13/2011 09:24 AM, Milind Bhandarkar wrote:
> IANAL, but Steve is questioning usage of "Apache Hadoop Compatible" in PR
> material of commercial software. Is this considered as usage of "The
> Hadoop mark" ?

It's a usage.  Is it permitted?  Let's consider.

"EMC Greenplum HD Enterprise Edition - The Enterprise Edition is a 100
percent interface-compatible implementation of the Apache Hadoop stack."

The trademark question is whether this creates confusion about what
Hadoop means (not acceptable) or whether it's just a statement about
Hadoop (acceptable).  On one hand, it might be read to say, "EE is
Hadoop", which creates confusion, on the other it might be read to say,
"EE's API is a superset of Hadoop's API", a statement of fact that may
or may not be true.  I think the intended reading is the latter, but it
should probably be stated more clearly: Hadoop has an API but Hadoop is
not its API.  Perhaps we should to ask them to clarify this?

"EMC Greenplum HD Community Edition - The Community Edition is a 100
percent open source certified and supported version of the Apache Hadoop
stack comprising HDFS, MapReduce, Zookeeper, Hive and HBase."

Here "certified" is probably just intended to mean that the software
uses a "certified" open source license, e.g., listed at
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/.  However they should say that this
"includes" or "contains" the various Apache products, not that it "is" them.

Doug