Hadoop >> mail # dev >> [PROPOSAL] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack

+
Matt Foley 2012-11-21, 19:15
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-23, 23:40
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-24, 20:13
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-24, 21:26
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-11-24, 22:03
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-11-21, 19:25
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-21, 20:46
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-11-21, 21:33
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-11-21, 20:00
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-21, 21:14
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-11-21, 21:50
+
Andy Isaacson 2012-11-21, 23:00
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-21, 23:58
+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-22, 09:21
Re: [PROPOSAL] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack
On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:58AM, Radim Kolar wrote:
> I know that Python compatibility can be worked around. I used Python
> for few years and wrote about 70k LOC in it until it started to
> irritate me that every new version has incompatibilities such as 2.4
> vs 2.3 vs 2.5 and it makes maintaining and testing way harder then
> it should be. Its not just compatibility with missing library
> functions. sometimes even expression evaluated to different value
> under new version. This was similar to php 4 to php 5 migration.
> Today i have 3 versions of python installed because of software
> requirements.
>
> For simple scripts it can probably work if you stick to some common subset.
>
> Scripting via maven plugin has advantage that user do not needs to
> install anything, there is couple of languages available: scala,
> groovy, jelly, jruby. Maybe jython too.

pretty much all of the j* in JSR223 land is abomination of one sort or
another, actually :)

Cos
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-22, 01:57