Hadoop >> mail # general >> Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release
> Nigel,
>
> your comment can be understood as a request to commit important fixes
> to the 0.22 branch. I agree with that. But if you choose to abandon
> the RM role I will volunteer to take it over.
>
> Thanks,
> --Konstantin

[catching up on the week's email]

Konstantin, you are free to carry on this 0.22 work and call a release vote if you wish.

To me it is becoming clearer every week that 0.22 continues to regress in significant ways from 0.20.20x releases which will cause further confusion in our user base.  Thus I will no longer manage a release from the 0.22 branch.  When 0.20.200 was proposed, I thought this would be the only such release and regressions to 0.22 would be manageable.  This is no longer the case now that there have been many 0.20.20x releases with significant changes and committers have not been merging these changes to intervening branches as was once common practice.

At the current time, I believe the most value that we (the developer community) have derived from 0.22 was finding/fixing issues throughout the spring timeframe that also existed on trunk.  Many thanks to those that ran early versions of 0.22, filled issues and provided fixes.  Trunk, and thus 0.23, are better for it.

Cheers,
Nige