MapReduce, mail # dev - learning and contributing

Re: learning and contributing
Steve Loughran 2012-06-13, 08:41
On 12 June 2012 16:47, Gourav Sengupta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Harsh,
>
> Thanks for your kind response.
>
> Can you please suggest a few books to help me start contributing to the
> community?  Besides that I am new to JAVA, I have had some experience of
> programming in C, C++, PERL, PHP and Python, which I use almost regularly
> in my work, but my work in JAVA has been quite irregular.

In that case, I'd recommend before you dive in the depths of the hadoop
codebase -which is deep, complex and not a place to learn about Java or the
like, you start writing mapreduce code to analyse something.

Grab one of the open datasets (like London's: http://data.london.gov.uk/ )
, and think of some things you'd like to find out about it. Then write some
MR jobs to find it out, exploring other features like multiple outputs,
shuffing, integration with other platforms.

If you do this on the Apache 1.0.3 line with the source installed and a
good IDE (IntelliJ IDEA or Eclipse), you can browse into the source while
you do your code, but you are driven by some short term needs -and learning
what needs to be improved.

For help in this, the mapreduce-user mailing list is the place to go

steve