Hadoop >> mail # general >> LimitedPrivate and HBase

Re: LimitedPrivate and HBase
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 09:51AM, Allen Wittenauer wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Tom White wrote:
> >
> > We could also change the remaining 6 cases of LimitedPrivate to Public
> > (note that they are already annotated Evolving or Unstable), and
> > deprecate LimitedPrivate. Would this allay people's concerns?
>

> Thanks for doing the search Tom.
>
> Rather than just flip them all to public, I'd like to propose the following:
>
> a) LimitedPrivate APIs to non-Hadoop projects are allowed to exist for 1 minor release.
> b) When a LimitedPrivate to non-Hadoop project is created, a blocker JIRA for the next release is created.
> c) That JIRA should be used to determine whether the API should go private
> or public, and if the latter, what interface changes are required.

Allen, the idea looks reasonable yet an over-complicated for the dev. process.
It seems rather better to stick with original Tom's proposal: e.g. eliminate
LimitedPrivate and use just Private instead: lesser interfaces to
track/decisions to make, more transparent the process will be, IMO.