Hive, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive

+
Alan Gates 2012-11-02, 20:52
+
Namit Jain 2012-11-05, 04:35
+
Alan Gates 2012-11-06, 17:55
+
Namit Jain 2012-11-07, 04:06
+
Alan Gates 2012-11-12, 17:02
+
Namit Jain 2012-11-15, 06:22
+
Alan Gates 2012-12-03, 23:22
+
Edward Capriolo 2012-12-13, 19:59
+
Travis Crawford 2012-12-14, 01:31
+
Namit Jain 2012-12-14, 03:59
+
Carl Steinbach 2012-12-14, 18:05
+
Alan Gates 2012-12-18, 21:13
+
Travis Crawford 2012-12-19, 01:36
+
Carl Steinbach 2012-12-19, 19:33
+
Namit Jain 2012-12-20, 04:23
+
Ashish Thusoo 2012-12-20, 13:58
+
Carl Steinbach 2012-12-20, 22:02
+
Ashish Thusoo 2012-12-20, 23:56
+
Bhandarkar, Milind 2012-12-27, 05:22
Re: [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive
Bhandarkar, Milind 2012-12-27, 05:18
I am really looking forward to the headline that "Hive Metastore now
provides metadata for platforms other than Hive".

I think that would demonstrate the flexibility of Hive metastore to the
world.

Even if some people consider this a purely "marketing message", the
flexibility of the APIs do appeal to developers.

Right ?

- milind

---
Milind Bhandarkar
Chief Scientist,
Machine Learning Platforms,
Greenplum, A Division of EMC
+1-650-523-3858 (W)
+1-408-666-8483 (C)

On 12/20/12 2:02 PM, "Carl Steinbach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Would the project not benefit in the long run if Hcat is
>> brought in and some day becomes the default metastore for Hive.
>

>Folks, can we please try to keep this straight? HCatalog on its own does
>not provide any support for metadata. It is a set of wrapper APIs that
>make
>Hive's metastore and serdes accessible to Pig and MR. I think these
>wrappers provide a lot of value, and I'm eager to see them merged into
>Hive, but I'm dreading the marketing campaign that I suspect will follow:
>"Hive now supports metadata thanks to HCatalog!".
+
Bhandarkar, Milind 2012-12-20, 21:10
+
Carl Steinbach 2012-12-20, 21:59