HBase >> mail # user >> Sequential read-update HFile

Re: Sequential read-update HFile

Once a StoreFile is written to disk it is never updated.

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#regions.arch

So the options are are either Puts (like you've been describing - which
will create new StoreFiles per MemStore flush) or bulk loading HFiles (new
StoreFiles).
Out of curiosity, are you trying to update *every* row?  Most of the rows?