MapReduce >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.1.0-beta

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've created a release candidate (rc2) for hadoop-2.1.0-beta that I would
> like to get released - this fixes the bugs we saw since the last go-around
> (rc1).
>
> The RC is available at:
> http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-2.1.0-beta-rc2/
> The RC tag in svn is here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.1.0-beta-rc2

It basically works (in insecure mode), +1.

+ Checked signature.
+ Ran on small cluster w/ small load made using mapreduce interfaces.
+ Got the HBase full unit test suite to pass on top of it.

I had the following issues getting it to all work. I don't know if they are
known issues so will just list them here first.

+ I could not find documentation on how to go from tarball to running
cluster (the bundled 'cluster' and 'standalone' doc are not about how to
get this tarball off the ground).
+ I had a bit of a struggle putting this release in place under hbase unit
tests.  The container would just exit w/ 127 errcode.  No logs in expected
place.  Tripped over where minimrcluster was actually writing.  Tried to
corral it so it played nicely w/o our general test setup but found that the
new mini clusters have 'target' hardcoded as output dirs.
+ Once I figured where the logs were, found that JAVA_HOME was not being
exported (don't need this in hadoop-2.0.5 for instance).  Adding an
exported JAVA_HOME to my running shell which don't seem right but it took
care of it (I gave up pretty quick on messing w/
yarn.nodemanager.env-whitelist and yarn.nodemanager.admin-env -- I wasn't
getting anywhere)
+ This did not seem to work for me:
<name>hadoop.security.group.mapping</name>
<value>org.apache.hadoop.security.JniBasedUnixGroupsMappingWithFallback</value>.
 It just did this:

Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
org.apache.hadoop.security.JniBasedUnixGroupsMapping.anchorNative()V
at org.apache.hadoop.security.JniBasedUnixGroupsMapping.anchorNative(Native
Method)
at
org.apache.hadoop.security.JniBasedUnixGroupsMapping.<clinit>(JniBasedUnixGroupsMapping.java:49)
at
org.apache.hadoop.security.JniBasedUnixGroupsMappingWithFallback.<init>(JniBasedUnixGroupsMappingWithFallback.java:38)

..so I replaced it
w/ org.apache.hadoop.security.ShellBasedUnixGroupsMapping on the hbase-side
to get my cluster up and running.

+ Untarring the bin dir, it undoes as hadoop-X.Y.Z-beta.  Undoing the src
dir it undoes as hadoop-X.Y.Z-beta-src.  I'd have thought they would undo
into the one directory overlaying each other.

St.Ack