Hadoop >> mail # general >> Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-

Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-
We have the following method coverage:
Common ~60%
HDFS      ~80%
MR          ~70%
(better analysis will be available after our projects are connected to
Sonar, I think).

While method coverage isn't completely adequate answer to your
question, I'd say there is a possibility to sneak in some semantical
and even API changes which might go entirely unvalidated by the test
suites. It isn't very high, but it does exist.

A better approach to validate semantics is to run cluster tests (e.g.
system tests) which have a better potentials to exercise public APIs
than functional tests. There's HADOOP-7278 to address this for 0.22
(and potentially others)
--
  Take care,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
and do not necessarily represent the views of any company the author
might be affiliated with at the moment of writing.