Hadoop, mail # dev - Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack

+
Matt Foley 2012-11-30, 01:51
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-11-30, 01:25
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-30, 02:26
+
Chuan Liu 2012-11-30, 03:22
+
Bikas Saha 2012-11-30, 04:27
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 11:21
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 12:57
+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-30, 13:29
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 14:02
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 13:49
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-12-02, 18:20
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-30, 00:29
+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-30, 13:20
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-30, 13:40
+
Jitendra Pandey 2012-11-30, 22:49
+
Steve Loughran 2012-12-01, 10:48
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-24, 20:13
+
Ivan Mitic 2012-11-29, 23:41
+
Mahadevan Venkatraman 2012-11-30, 02:07
+
Raja Aluri 2012-12-01, 00:57
+
Eli Collins 2012-12-01, 01:08
+
Steve Loughran 2012-12-01, 10:44
+
Doug Cutting 2012-12-01, 18:23
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-12-13, 00:53
Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack
Doug Cutting 2012-11-30, 16:55
-1, +1, -1

Run- & build-time scripting should be limited to operations that are
impossible in Java.  These should not be complex nor should we
encourage more complexity in them.  A parallel set of simple .bat
files for such operations seems preferable to adding a Python
dependency.

Doug

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Matt Foley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For discussion, please see previous thread "[PROPOSAL] introduce Python as
> build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack".
>
> This vote consists of three separate items:
>
> 1. Contributors shall be allowed to use Python as a platform-independent
> scripting language for build-time tasks, and add Python as a build-time
> dependency.
> Please vote +1, 0, -1.
>
> 2. Contributors shall be encouraged to use Maven tasks in combination with
> either plug-ins or Groovy scripts to do cross-platform build-time tasks,
> even under ant in Hadoop-1.
> Please vote +1, 0, -1.
>
> 3. Contributors shall be allowed to use Python as a platform-independent
> scripting language for run-time tasks, and add Python as a run-time
> dependency.
> Please vote +1, 0, -1.
>
> Note that voting -1 on #1 and +1 on #2 essentially REQUIRES contributors to
> use Maven plug-ins or Groovy as the only means of cross-platform build-time
> tasks, or to simply continue using platform-dependent scripts as is being
> done today.
>
> Vote closes at 12:30pm PST on Saturday 1 December.
> ---------
> Personally, my vote is +1, +1, +1.
> I think #2 is preferable to #1, but still has many unknowns in it, and
> until those are worked out I don't want to delay moving to cross-platform
> scripts for build-time tasks.
>
> Best regards,
> --Matt
+