HBase >> mail # dev >> 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Enis Söztutar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> We(HWX) had some discussions with Stack this morning about the eventual
> 0.96 release, and 0.95 stuff. Having 0.96 out sooner rather than later is
> becoming crucial as time passes. We've talked about some of the significant
> work items, and what areas to focus on.

Thanks for doing the writeup Enis.  I appreciate your suggesting more focus
on 0.95/0.96.

> Some of the notes are:
>
>  - HBASE-8015. Support for Namespaces (Francis owns it, and the patch looks
> mostly done. We should get this in since this is the singularity)
>  - HBASE-7999 Add 'system' tables (this may turn into just adding a system
> namespace, and be done with it. Depends on HBASE-8015. )
>  - HBASE-8093. Change the META name (can be done together as a part of
> HBASE-8015, HBASE-7999)

That would be coolio.  Sooner rather than later I'd say.

>  - HBASE-3787 Increment is non-idempotent but client retries RPC. Nonce
> issue (idempotent) -> critical, Enis or Sergey will work on this.
>  - Tarball, maven -> Enis, Giri, Nick, Stack
>  - Jeffrey's log replay patch (It allows 2sec recovery for accepting writes
> for regions. We can get this in disabled by default, and keep both
> distributed log splitting, and log replay. In 96, we can make it rock solid
> afterwards)
>  - Region locality fixes hbase-7932/7942 (Devaraj says that he was able to
> convince the hdfs guys to accept the patch.)
>  - IPC review (DD, Stack)
>  - Cell stuff review

 - Cell support in Filters etc. -> These are important but no blockers,
> maybe we can defer them to 1.0.
>  - HBASE-7897 Add support for tags to Cell Interface
>  - MTTR -> non blocker. The more we have the better
>  - Formal hadoop2 support -> DD, Ted, Nick, hadoop-2.0.4-alpha issue.
>  - prefix-tree module, storage module, mapred? -> Enis push for decision
> here.
>  - HBASE-7704. migration tool that checks presence of HFile V1 files.
> (Stack)
>  - Snapshots, any work left? -> Ted will review
>  - HBASE-8045. Fix .META. migration after HBASE-3171 (Stack)
>  - IO fencing, write compactions to hlog (Stack spend some time on this,
> pretty important)
>  - Unit test fixes
>  - How are we going to test this

> We'll also go over the issues and re-kindle the discussions, re-assign,
> bump to 0.95.1 etc.

I'm making a trawl through now.   Will just bump any w/o owners and where
there has been no movement lately.

Thanks again for the write up Enis,
St.Ack