Hadoop >> mail # user >> Is it safe to manually copy BLK files?

Re: Is it safe to manually copy BLK files?
The short answer is no. If you want to decommission a datanode, the
safest way is to put hostnames of the datanodes you want to shutdown
into a file on the namenode.  Next, set the dfs.hosts.exclude
parameter to point to the file. Finally, run hadoop dfsadmin
-refreshNodes.

As an FYI, I think you misunderstood the dfs.replication parameter.
The setting includes the total number of copies of blocks that you
want, not additional copies. If you want only a single copy of every
block, it should be set to 1, not 0.

Hope that helps.

-Joey