Hadoop >> mail # user >> Understanding harpoon - help needed

+
Dibyendu Karmakar 2013-01-23, 09:24
Re: Understanding harpoon - help needed
Hi,

Link [1] partly answers your question. Namenode chooses the "nearest"
data-node that can cater this request. So replication definitely helps, in
the sense that a replica might be placed on a node nearer to the client.
I'm not sure whether the namenode checks if a datanode is busy serving
other requests, So I'll leave that for others to answer.

[1] http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r0.20.2/hdfs_design.html#Replica+Selection

Thanks,
Bharath