HBase, mail # dev - Heads-up! Branching 0.96 (actually 0.95) this weekend

Re: Heads-up! Branching 0.96 (actually 0.95) this weekend
Stack 2013-02-22, 20:56
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Ted Yu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am generally fine with branching.
>
> Looking at the blocker / critical bug list for 0.96, the number of such
> issues (39 as of writing of this email) increased compared to a few days
> ago.
> People marked their JIRAs this way so that their work gets picked up for
> 0.96
>
> Considering that all the fixes for these issues would be integrated twice
> once branching happens, I wonder if there should be a short buffer before
> branching so that some of these high priority fixes can go in.

Yeah.  This is a problem.   We have been running for months w/ blockers and
criticals at about 8 and 30 count respectively and the number hasn't been
dropping. That the number has gone up because we've called for branch is
good I think because it means folks are starting to act as though 0.95/0.96
is going to happen whereas -- witness the unchanged blocker/critical count
over months -- this was not the case previously.

Regards the pain of committing in multiple places,  yeah, I think there is
no way out around it, not unless we want to put the 0.95/0.96 branch off
until, when?

Thanks,
St.Ack