Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Authentication mechanism

+
Jaewoong Choi 2012-11-21, 19:46
+
Flavio Junqueira 2012-11-22, 21:23
Re: Authentication mechanism
I believe I've read it several times.  I guess you refers to the following statement:
"... When a client connects to ZooKeeper and authenticates itself, ZooKeeper associates all the ids that correspond to a client with the clients connection. "

>From my understanding based on my real tests, client authenticates by calling ZooKeeper#setAuthInfo.  In other words, authentication never happens if client bypass authentication #setAuthInfo.  Could you please confirm and clarify?  Haven't you been able to reproduce the scenario I described below?

Thanks,
Jaewoong

On Nov 22, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Flavio Junqueira wrote:

> Hi Jaewoong,
>
> I'm not sure if you have had a chance to look at the documentation:
>
> http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.5/zookeeperProgrammers.html#sc_ZooKeeperAccessControl
>
> My understanding is that a client authenticates when it connects.
>
> -Flavio
>
> On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:46 PM, Jaewoong Choi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I got a question regarding ZooKeeper's authentication mechanism.  Let me describe a scenario first.
>>
>> 1. ZooKeeper server started up with a customized AuthenticationProvider (e.g. XyzAuthenticationProvider which authentication scheme is "xyz") enabled with -Dzookeeper.authProvider.1=class.path.to.XyzAuthenticationProvider option.
>> 2. But all znodes (including "/" and "/zookeeper") haven't been assigned any ACL of neither this "xyz" scheme or "auth" scheme s.t. they are open to the world by default.
>> 3. At this stage, any ZooKeeper client without any authInfo ( who hasn't invoked org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper#setAuthInfo ) are permitted to do anything!!  e.g. It can create znodes under "/" and etc.
>>
>> This is what I verified with my test using zookeeper_server-3.4.3 and zookeeper-3.4.3 client library.
>>
>> Here come some questions.
>>
>> 1. Is the above scenario true?
>> 2. Isn't there any access control on "Connect" permission level regardless of znode-level ACLs? For example, can we deny client connection before its access to any znode when it comes without a valid authInfo?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jaewoong

+
Michi Mutsuzaki 2012-11-26, 19:11