Kafka >> mail # dev >> Would a source only 0.7.0 release be better?

Would a source only 0.7.0 release be better?
It was suggested on general@ that a source only release reduces the
number of requirements with regards to dealing with (transitive)
dependencies and NOTICE files [1].  I can't recall if this is new or not
but the release guide also currently suggests them for early projects [2].

My reading is that since we would only be distributing source code, the
NOTICE file should not reflect binary dependencies and would have *only*
the standard Apache bit [3].  Same for LICENSE.

Now it is (much) more convenient for users to have a nice binary
tarball.  And better for client writers to have binary releases that can
be re-packaged downstream, live in maven repositories etc. However, I
think at this point it is more important for the community to have a
common reference point now (aka a release) than a binary release later.
 I strongly suspect that there is currently a splintering among pre-ASF
releases, trunk, and the various 0.7 RCs.  This is not healthy for the
community.

I'm willing to slog through the dependencies, and if I need to write
code to do that (which seems like the only reasonable option to me), so
be it.  But I don't think we need to block everything on that unless we
want to.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-kafka-dev/201112.mbox/%3CCAKTa1mhb%3DKMym9KOFDtXZHtoaMwky0Vcv-%2Bm4vB%2BR9%2BwND1PnA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

[2]