HBase >> mail # user >> Re: [Programmatic cluster monitoring] How to use the HBase monitoring APIs

Re: [Programmatic cluster monitoring] How to use the HBase monitoring APIs
Thanks for that link Otis!  This indeed allows completely overriding the
default monitoring by Hbase, however what we are looking at really is
capturing some additional metrics over and above what the monitoring is
already generating.

So, we figured a way to achieve that through co-processors as they seem to
nicely fit into our requirements, which is like capturing metrics for
example # of compactions that got triggered in a time window. The interface
http://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/coprocessor/RegionObserver.html
exposes a bunch of callbacks on important internal events as well as client
API calls (get's, put's, delete's etc). We are planning to log entries (into
the same metrics file where hbase monitoring framework writes the stats to
through the FileContext/TimestampedFileContext class) on some of these
internal events, and use our homegrown graphing solution to publish the
reports.