Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Backporting features

Re: Backporting features
I will point out, the argument about additional effort to backport
changes in analogous to creating a new feature in an earlier version and
having to merge it more recent versions.

We typically don't have the latter because new features are never
(haven't previously?) added to a major release. Personally, I don't have
a problem if an application needs to depend on a new minor release for
some new capability, only if it would preclude some user from upgrading
to a new minor release.

Given how tied up some groups get about not switching to new major
releases of Accumulo, for new features that don't depend on the other
new features which necessitated a major release in the first place, it
seems we would pidgeon-hole people into having to upgrade to a new major
release for something completely separate.

The other solution here, I think Christopher mentioned it, would be to
keep it as a contrib/side-project and version it separately from "accumulo".