Accumulo, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] The State of Old Versions

Re: [DISCUSS] The State of Old Versions
Mike Drob 2013-05-31, 22:33
Nobody's touched this for a week, but I think the conversation is important
enough that it shouldn't die. I'll tackle these in version order.

1.3 - I agree with releasing a source only tag of 1.3.7 and calling it
end-of-life. The changes are there, throwing them away seems silly (and
rude?). That said, I'm not volunteering to be the one to put it together,
so I feel a bit guilty suggesting that somebody else do it.

1.4 - There are a dozen bugs already marked as fixed. There are 5 more
issues marked as fix for 1.4.4 that are yet unresolved. There are 15 issues
marked as affecting 1.4.3 that are still open, some of which I would really
like to see make their way into a 1.4.4. Some of those issues look fairly
major and could use a few more eyes on them. Some time in June seems
reasonable.

1.5 - So far these tickets look like mostly documentation fixes, but a few
of them look pretty important. ACCUMULO-1449 and ACCUMULO-1456 were the
first to catch my eye. That said, as 1.5 gets run on more systems I'm sure
more bugs will crop up. Personally, I wouldn't plan on releasing anything
until the community starts asking for it.

1.6 - Feature freeze in 4 months would be... September? That gives plenty
of time to run test and integration and still get something out by the end
of the year. I think this is the release that people were talking about
rolling to Java 7 and Hadoop 2, both of which will require more than the
usual amount of testing, in my opinion. Six months after 1.5 would be
mid-November, which I'm not confident in, but it's a nice target to shoot
for. The major worry would be that if the timeline slips past that, then
there won't be a release until sometime in 2014, given the tendency for
activity to slow down around the holidays.

Thank you for starting the discussion, Christopher. I hope that other
people chime in as well.
Mike