Hive >> mail # user >> How Can I store the Hive query result in one file ?

Re: How Can I store the Hive query result in one file ?
I have found that for output larger than a few GB, redirecting stdout results in an incomplete file.  For very large output, I do CREATE TABLE MYTABLE AS SELECT ... and then copy the resulting HDFS files directly out of /user/hive/warehouse.

________________________________
 From: Bertrand Dechoux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:09 AM
Subject: Re: How Can I store the Hive query result in one file ?

The question is what is the volume of your output. There is one file per output task (map or reduce) because that way each can write it independently and in parallel. That's how mapreduce work. And except by forcing the number of tasks to 1, there is no certain way to have one output file.

But indeed if the volume is low enough, you could also capture the standard output into a local file like Nitin described.

Bertrand

will hive -e "query" > filename  or hive -f query.q > filename will do ?

--
Bertrand Dechoux