Hive, mail # user - BINARY column type

+
Connell, Chuck 2012-12-01, 16:50
+
John Omernik 2012-12-01, 21:22
RE: BINARY column type
Connell, Chuck 2012-12-01, 22:11
Thanks John. When you say "hexed" data, do you mean binary encoded to ascii hex? This would remove the raw newline characters.

We considered Base64 encoding our data, a similar idea, which would also remove raw newlines. But my preference is to put real binary data into Hive, and find a way to make this work.

Chuck

________________________________
From: John Omernik [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2012 4:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: BINARY column type

Hi Chuck -

I've used binary columns with Newlines in the data. I used RCFile format for my storage method. Works great so far. Whether or not this is "the" way to get data in, I use hexed data (my transform script outputs hex encoded) and the final insert into the table gets a unhex(sourcedata).  That's never been a problem for me, seems a bit hackish, but works well.