MapReduce >> mail # user >> executing files on hdfs via hadoop not possible? is JNI/JNA a reasonable solution?

+
Julian Bui 2013-03-17, 09:39
+
Harsh J 2013-03-17, 09:50
+
Julian Bui 2013-03-17, 10:50
Re: executing files on hdfs via hadoop not possible? is JNI/JNA a reasonable solution?
Hi,

Yes, streaming lets you send in arbitrary programs and execute them
upon the input and helps collect the output, such as a shell script or
a python script (its agnostic to what you send as long as you also
send full launching environment and command instructions). The same
can be leveraged to have your MR environment start a number of map
tasks whose input can be mere HDFS file path strings (but not the file
data) and that your program leverages libhdfs (shipped along or
installed on all nodes) to read those paths and process them in a way
you see fit. Essentially, you can tweak the streaming functionalities
to make it do what you need it/achieve different ways of
parallelism/etc..

Yes, what am suggesting is perhaps similar to Hadoop Pipes, but that's
generally been out of major use in the past few major releases we've
made and generally Streaming is recommended in its favor.

Harsh J