Hadoop, mail # dev - Logistics for releasing 2.4

+
Andrew Wang 2014-01-21, 00:19
+
Arun C Murthy 2014-01-21, 19:12
+
Suresh Srinivas 2014-01-21, 19:37
+
Andrew Wang 2014-01-21, 21:26
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2014-01-21, 23:51
+
Stack 2014-01-22, 19:28
+
Andrew Wang 2014-01-22, 20:04
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2014-01-22, 20:48
+
Arun C Murthy 2014-01-23, 01:21
+
Andrew Wang 2014-01-23, 01:14
Re: Logistics for releasing 2.4
Karthik Kambatla 2014-01-22, 20:22
+1 to releasing often. Also, like Vinod's idea of labeling individual
features alpha/beta/stable.

I am +1 to releasing 2.4 end of this month and including YARN-149 as
"beta". I think the associated configs are stable; we might add new ones to
make it simpler. We have been testing it internally in non-secure and
secure clusters, and it has been holding okay, except when running Oozie
workflows in a secure cluster. I hope to address these issues in the next
week or two. Other sub-tasks Vinod mentioned are all making progress.

Given the plan is to release often, I am sure we can roll out 2.5 next
month with RM HA marked "stable".
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Andrew Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Thanks for the comments everyone.
>
> Vinod, if you think YARN-149 isn't ready yet, we can leave it out.
> Alternatively, we could release note it as "beta" with said known issues,
> and let people kick the tires. It looks like a bunch of the core
> functionality is already in place.
>
> Unless anyone else objects, I plan to cut a 2.4 branch later this week.
> Steve, Stack, if you think those two JIRAs can wrap up in that time frame
> we can include it. Since this more experiment will hopefully go well, we
> can include them in a 2.5 next month.
>
> Best,
> Andrew
>

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Andrew for bringing this up.
> >
> > +1 on more frequent releases and an effort at (roughly time-based
> release.
> >
> > We are working to get 'HDFS-5776 Support 'hedged' reads in DFSClient' to
> > land in time for 2.4 (but don't hold up the release for us!)
> >
> > St.Ack
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 3:51 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > If the timeline is to cut one next week, I don't think we can ship
> > > YARN-149 as part of that and call it stable. There are a bunch of major
> > > things that are still missing there: YARN-1202, YARN-1410, YARN-1525
> and
> > > YARN-1611/YARN-1459.
> > >
> > > We need to start labeling individual features alpha/beta/stable now
> that
> > > we have a stable 2.2 base.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > +Vinod

> > > HDFS-2832,
> > something
> > > we
> > > other
> > for a
> 2.4

> 2.4

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> overnight),

> that

> month
+
Steve Loughran 2014-01-21, 22:21
+
Sandy Ryza 2014-01-21, 19:31
+
Stack 2014-01-23, 06:00
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2014-01-23, 08:10
+
Steve Loughran 2014-01-23, 10:24
+
Sangjin Lee 2014-01-24, 00:54