Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Accumulo 1.6 and beyond feature summit

+
Adam Fuchs 2013-01-27, 01:10
Re: Accumulo 1.6 and beyond feature summit
- The ability to lock a table (or perhaps locality group(s)) to memory
would be very intriguing. I know this is somewhat achievable via the
data block and index block cache, however I'm not sure if that's
entirely the same? At a minimum, we currently only have on/off caching
for a table.
- Continuous-ingest is pretty good baseline for determining how good of
a configuration exists. I think we could easily take it a step farther
to make >1node installation/initial-setup much less error prone, not to
mention create a more stable test harness for various "normal" Accumulo
workloads. This could also make internal testing much easier and
reproducible.
- Focus on the proxy. I think making the proxy a very user-friendly
endpoint will vastly increase the usability of Accumulo overall. It no
longer forces everyone into Java (or jython/jruby); however the proxy
could still use some love (I went to use it one night and then realized
I had to update my installed version of Thrift, boo).

Parroting some stuff other people mentioned..

- cleanup hook on SKVI
- Scanner/BatchScanner/ScannerBase cleanup
- auto tablet merge
On 01/26/2013 08:10 PM, Adam Fuchs wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Now that we're past feature freeze for 1.5, I'd like to set up a discussion
> of the features that Accumulo developers are interested in for 1.6 and
> beyond. The purpose of this discussion will be to raise awareness of
> projects that you think are cool and important, and to rally the community.
> As a proposed format, let's plan on a series of 2-5 minute presentations of
> individual features -- what it is, why it's important, how should we build
> it, and who needs to help. We'll record the presentations for posterity.
>
> Since the community is now distributed throughout several states, let's try
> our hand at an online discussion. Depending on participation, we'll pick a
> forum that can accomodate everyone. If you're interested in attending,
> please fill out this doodle with what time you would be available:
> http://www.doodle.com/w9zb77ya3ykxr4zv
>
> If you can, please try to fill out the survey by Tuesday afternoon. After
> we get a good feel for times and participation, I'll schedule an online
> forum and send out a meeting invitation. If you would like to present a
> feature, send me an email directly at [EMAIL PROTECTED], and I'll make sure
> you get time to present it.
>
> I look forward to seeing what everyone has up their sleeves!
>
> Cheers,
> Adam

+
Keith Turner 2013-01-27, 17:26