HBase >> mail # user >> schema doubt

schema doubt
I have many small files (close to 1 million) and I was thinking of creating
a key value pair for them. The file name can be the key and the content can
be value.

Would it be better if I do a base64 on the content and load it to hbase or
try to echo the content for hbase shell?

Has anyone done something similar to this?