HBase, mail # dev - Finding some PreCommit Green

+
Nick Dimiduk 2012-12-13, 18:24
+
Stack 2012-12-13, 19:01
+
Nicolas Liochon 2012-12-13, 18:44
+
Nick Dimiduk 2012-12-13, 19:56
Re: Finding some PreCommit Green
Stack 2012-12-13, 21:19
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Nick Dimiduk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> @Stack: Hey now, let's not get to hasty!

Just sent you all my life savings, $50.00, and signed over to you my first
and second born.

> @Nicolas,
>
> Looking at the output of #3526 [0], where does this bash
> script /tmp/hudson4033738860406301156.sh come from?

It looks like this is what it is running:
#!/bin/bash
hostname
uname -a
ulimit -a
set +x
source ${WORKSPACE}/nightly/hudsonEnv.sh
export ANT_OPTS=-Xmx2048m
mkdir -p ${WORKSPACE}/patchprocess
cd ${TRUNK}

/bin/bash ${TRUNK}/dev-support/test-patch.sh \
        --jenkins \
        --patch-dir=${WORKSPACE}/patchprocess \
        --basedir=${TRUNK} \
        --support-dir=/home/jenkins/buildSupport \
        --ps-cmd=/bin/ps \
        --wget-cmd=/usr/bin/wget \
        --svn-cmd=/usr/bin/svn \
        --grep-cmd=/bin/grep \
        --patch-cmd=/usr/bin/patch \
        --jira-cmd=/home/jenkins/tools/jiracli/latest/jira \
        --jira-password=4hadoopqa \
        --findbugs-home=/home/jenkins/tools/findbugs/latest \
        --forrest-home=/home/jenkins/tools/forrest/latest \
        --eclipse--home=/home/jenkins/tools/eclipse/latest \
        HBASE-${ISSUE_NUM}

This is the content of a textedit box that you can fill in configuring the
build in jenkins.  Here is the help for the textbox:

"Runs a shell script (defaults to sh, but this is configurable) for
building the project. The script will be run with the workspace as the
current directory. Type in the contents of your shell script. If your shell
script has no header line like #!/bin/sh —, then the shell configured
system-wide will be used, but you can also use the header line to write
script in another language (like #!/bin/perl) or control the options that
shell uses.

By default, the shell will be invoked with the "-ex" option. So all of the
commands are printed before being executed, and the build is considered a
failure if any of the commands exits with a non-zero exit code. Again, add
the #!/bin/... line to change this behavior.

As a best practice, try not to put a long shell script in here. Instead,
consider adding the shell script in SCM and simply call that shell script
from Jenkins (via bash -ex myscript.sh or something like that), so that you
can track changes in your shell script."

> What does the -DHBasePatchProcess flag do? A `git grep` yields no results.

I don't know.

I see it made up in ./dev-support/test-patch.sh

 3   $MVN clean test -DskipTests -D${PROJECT_NAME}PatchProcess >
$PATCH_DIR/trunkJavacWarnings.txt 2>&1

> The step "Determining number of patched javadoc warnings." would be more
> useful if it ran javadoc on unpatched trunk and compared results to produce
> the number of new warnings produced. It claims to do something similar for
> javac warnings (though I don't believe it).

Yes.

> Tests for hbase-server failed with no clear reason produced. Perhaps
> running secondPartTestsExecution in serial will reveal the failure/timeout?

That's be sweet.

> Whatever script is handling "Recording test results" could use the default
> value i mentioned in my initial comment.

Is it the return out of the function inside ./dev-support/test-patch.sh
called submitJiraComment?

St.Ack
> [0]: https://builds.apache.org/job/PreCommit-HBASE-Build/3526/consoleText
>
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Nicolas Liochon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > For #3526, I think it's marked wrong because one test timeouted. This is
> > not really well managed in surefire today.
> > I actually hope that the next version (2.13) will improve this.
> >
> > I think that we also have builds marked as bad with this:
> >
> >     {color:red}-1 javadoc{color}.  The javadoc tool appears to have
> > generated 104 warning messages.
> >     {color:red}-1 findbugs{color}.  The patch appears to introduce 23
> > new Findbugs (version 1.3.9) warnings.
> >
> > And IIRC, it's actually bugs in the build scripts.

+
Nick Dimiduk 2012-12-13, 22:33
+
Stack 2012-12-13, 22:40