Hadoop >> mail # user >> Suitability of HDFS for live file store

Re: Suitability of HDFS for live file store
Hi,

Generally I do not see a problem with your plan of using HDFS to store
these files, assuming they are updated rarely if ever. Hadoop is
traditionally a batch system and MapReduce largely remains a batch
system. I'd argue this because minimum job latencies are in the
"seconds" range. HDFS, however, has real time systems built on top of
it, like HBase. The main issue to be concerned with when using HDFS as
simply storage is file size. As HDFS stores it's metadata in RAM, you
don't want to create tremendous numbers of "small" files. With
50-100MB files you should fine.

Cheers,
Brock