HBase >> mail # user >> Offline merge tool question

+
Bryan Beaudreault 2013-08-14, 00:17
Re: Offline merge tool question
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Bryan Beaudreault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:

> I'm running cdh4.2 hbase 0.94.2, and am looking to merge some regions in a
> table.  Looking at Merge.java, it seems to require that the entire cluster
> be offline.  However, I also notice an HMerge.java which doesn't appear to
> do the same validation.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) Why does Merge.java validate the entire cluster is down, as opposed to
> just the single table being disabled?

It is dumb/simple/old.

> 2) Could I write my own tool that uses HMerge, so as to merge regions in
> the disabled table without bringing the whole cluster down?

Yes.  You can't do much harm if table is offline.

St.Ack
+
Bryan Beaudreault 2013-08-14, 15:18
+