Chukwa >> mail # dev >> Incubator PMC/Board report for Jan 2013 ([ppmc])

+
Marvin 2013-01-08, 18:09
+
Alan Cabrera 2013-01-09, 16:07
+
Marvin 2013-01-02, 16:20
+
Eric Yang 2013-01-03, 04:56
Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jan 2013 ([ppmc])
Hi,

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Eric Yang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> - Add a new policy page for how to contribute to Chukwa.  I drafted a copy
> base on Hadoop contribution guide line at:
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Chukwa_How_To_Contribute
Great stuff! It would be good if this was more prominently visible on
http://incubator.apache.org/chukwa/.

Currently the getting involved guide on the website just points to the
issue tracker and the mailing lists, which is nice but not nearly as useful
as that wiki page. Additionally, the source repository page on the web site
is somewhat confusing, suggesting broken things like "svn checkout http://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/chukwa site"...

Another area that could be improved on the web site are the getting started
instructions. Now it just points to the releases and documentation in
general (the doc link still points to 0.4.0). The information in the README
file could be there directly or at least behind a direct link. Also the
architecture/design page from the documentation, the quick start wiki page
and some past presentations might be good resources to link to directly.

Thinking a bit further, something like a simple example with real world
data and some interesting analysis questions would be a great way to get
people up and running. Can we do something like a "Chukwa in 5 minutes"
example?

Any other points that would be interesting to include in the report?  I am
> not sure what else that we should do before graduation.  In Chukwa status
> page, we seem to have accomplished all check points.
My general feeling is that Chukwa might be ready to start preparing for
graduation.

As discussed in the retirement threads, there are graduated podlings and
other Apache projects with similar levels of activity and diversity. The
underlying reason for the activity and diversity criteria for graduation is
the desire to ensure longevity of the project. Someone who starts using an
Apache product should have a reasonable expectation of help from the
community and people willing to review and apply their potential patches
also a few years down the line. This is often ensured by a large and
vibrant community (typically hundreds of messages per month, plenty of
active committers and contributors), but smaller projects with committed
community members and significant real-world users and deployments can be
just as resilient. It seems like Chukwa fits the latter category and has a
reasonable chance to also grow larger over time.

PS. Unless it already came up, the general Apache guidance for IRC channels
and other real-time communications is that they're fine as long as all
significant decisions and discussions are brought back to the mailing list
(or issue tracker) where also other members of the community (who may be in
different time zones, etc.) can participate.

BR,

Jukka Zitting
+
ant elder 2013-01-11, 13:09