HBase >> mail # user >> Speculative execution and TableOutputFormat

Re: Speculative execution and TableOutputFormat
Thanks for pointing that out in the book. I suppose a similar problem could occur even with speculative execution turned off. If a task is using HBase as sink, and it runs halfway before the node fails, the task is rerun on another node. But the rows from the failed task are not rolled back. So it seems you could have extra rows inserted if the 2nd run has a different result set (perhaps due to time-sensitive data or randomization in the result).

I am thinking to write the results to a file first, then read and persist to HBase from the file, to avoid this. The failover would work as Hadoop will throw out parts of a file that are not marked as completed. Though this does put a lot of extra IO on the cluster.