MapReduce, mail # user - Reg LZO compression

Re: Reg LZO compression
Robert Dyer 2012-10-17, 03:40
Hi Manoj,

If the data is the same for both tests and the number of mappers is
fewer, then each mapper has more (uncompressed) data to process.  Thus
each mapper should take longer and overall execution time should
increase.

As a simple example: if your data is 128MB uncompressed it may use 2
mappers, each processing 64MB of data (1 HDFS block per map task).
However, if you compress the data and it is now say 60MB, then one map
task will get the entire input file, decompress the data (to 128MB),
and process it.